Tuesday, January 6, 2015

First Week of a New Transfer!

This week was something else!

It was by far the hardest week I've had in California, but also one of the best. It was hard because more than usual we were out knocking doors of less actives, potential investigators, and their neighbors, and talking to everyone we saw; nobody wanted to talk to us. After 4 days of doing the same exact thing in different parts of our area, I was feeling frustrated, to say the least. We were doing what we were supposed to be doing, talking with everyone and preaching the gospel, so why weren't we finding people to teach? Why wouldn't any of our investigators meet with us? Well, it's because people have their agency: they choose whether or not they want to listen to us.  As missionaries, we are called of the Lord to preach His gospel; our job is to give people the opportunity to learn. And we are promised that as we open our mouths, the Lord will bring us to those who are prepared to receive the gospel. I knew this. Heavenly Father is bound to his promises when we do our part. 
I was a little on edge this week. The responsibility that I felt I had over my area was a lot to take on my shoulders. Because of the inadequacy that I felt, on Tuesday I asked Elder F (district leader) for a Priesthood blessing. That was one of the most amazing blessings I've ever received. I knew that Heavenly Father was aware of my situation and that He trusted me and that I could do it with His help.  
Tuesday we did have a lesson with the R family and we taught them the Plan of Salvation. It went really well. The rest of the week we knocked on a lot of empty houses and hard-hearted people. It was prettyyyyy frustrating.  
Thursday we were out and about with zero success talking to people, and I NEEDED to have a conversation with someone other than my comp, so we stopped by the C's house and talked to Sister C for 40 minutes. Friday we did the same exact thing. Super exhausting, especially when NOBODY WANTS TO TALK TO YOU. People are actually scared of missionaries, haha. 
Then Saturday rolled around, and alas, we went out and for the first half of the day it was super frustrating. We then visited a potential investigator and a guy named C answered the door and seemed pretty interested. He asked us for a pamphlet and who the living prophet today is. No return appointment, but I'LL TAKE IT. After we left his house and we were walking down the street, I yelled "THANK YOU HEAVENLY FATHER!"  C was a little light that we needed! 
Then we went to visit C (I told you about him last wk) because he was supposed to go to church with us on Sunday (which he didn't...) so we stopped by to see him, but he wasn't there. Sister K then looked over the potential list again (even though we looked at it 100 times that day) and she got a feeling to go visit someone. We drove to his house and he was in his garage! He was telling us how he sees all these different churches around and wants to know which one is right. So right then and there we taught him part of the Restoration, the Book of Mormon, the Holy Ghost, and prayer. He said that he wants to come to church and asked if we'd be there! Also, he asked if he called our number if it would be us that would answer. He wouldn't set up a return appointment (so not considered an investigator) because he has a really busy schedule right now, but he will start having more time off soon. He said that hopefully his wife will be open to it. He doesn't read very well, so he's going to have her read the Book of Mormon to him. Before we left I asked if we could say a prayer with him, he said "yeah, sure! I don't know how!" So we taught him to fold his arms and close his eyes. Then I prayed. His name is R R, (which he reminded me of in the middle of my prayer hahaha). He's SO AWESOME. If he doesn't contact us this week, we'll stop by and see him again.

New Year's Eve we had to be inside by 6pm studying. Then New Year's day was fine, nothing special. I forgot it was New Year's most of the day. Sorry I'm not giving more details on specific days, I forgot my journal.

This work is hard. But nothing worth doing is ever easy. I constantly have to remind myself that the Lord is on my side, and this week, although it was the toughest week of my mission thus far, I learned to rely on the Lord. I grew as a missionary more in this week than ever before. I love the quote "There's no comfort in a growth zone. There's no growth in a comfort zone." That was me this week. I initiated door contacts, which is not in my comfort zone, but I've already improved so much. I've still got a long ways to go, but I'm on my way to being the missionary I want to be and the missionary the Lord knows I can be.

It's hot here.
xoxo Sister Viraldo

No comments:

Post a Comment